Sunday, October 7, 2012

Why Not?

Several weeks ago, I was speaking to my co-worker and she was talking about how we often ask the question "Why?" when we are facing difficult and/or painful circumstances, but rarely ask "Why not?".  I was put off by her statement at first especially considering the fact that I have been wrestling with my own "Why?" question, however as I began to consider her perspective with an open heart and mind, I was humbled.  I am quick to ask God "Why?", but have never considered asking "Why not?".

When I dare to ask the question "Why not?", I cannot help but think "Who am I to be exempt from experiencing pain in this far from perfect world?"  Yes, not everyone experiences the pain and heartache of a miscarriage, but in this less than perfect world, we all experience pain.  Pain, that although it bears different names and circumstances, is a pain that breaks hearts all the same.  So "Who am I to think that I should be exempt from this pain while other mothers suffer?"

"Who am I am to critique or judge who should or should not face certain circumstances and its associated pain?"  Only God has the power and authority over those things, not me.  Don't get me wrong, asking the question "Why not?" does not diminish the pain, but it does offer another perspective.  Also, it does not mean we still do not need to wrestle with the question "Why", it just means we should not stop there.  The reality is that we often do not know "Why?", but we can rest in the fact that there is One who does and He deeply loves and cares for us.

So although I know little, I am choosing to trust that God knows everything, including the answers to my "Why?" and "Why not?" questions.  For me, it all keeps coming back to surrender.  Surrendering my pride, admitting that I do not know everything.  Surrendering my desires, trusting God even if I never get what I want.  Surrendering to His plan, even when I do not like it and it does not make any sense to me.  Surrendering to His love, trusting that He loves me even when it may not feel that way.

"Why not?"  It's better than the alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment